Kagama-the Literaturevixen's Reviews > A Brush of Darkness

A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang

I finished this book barely,holding out to the end that it would get better...It didnt. To sum up the premise for the

Abby is a touchstone for this OtherFolk (Moira) who has disappeared without a trace. She gets a mysterious costumer who is searching for his missing sister.Could there be a connection?

This book was so bad in soo many ways,where to start? Oh yes the dialogue maybe?

The dialogue was at best silly let me give you an example.

"Whats up pussycat,I purred"

Who even talks like that?! It could have been forgiven if the main character was some sort of feline (she is not) But every other character talks equally stupidly and at times even offensive, like commenting on a guys..er assets.

I mean im all for feminism and womens liberation...

But does that mean women have to act like men? I cant count the times Abby and/or her friend are ogling a male body and making remarks,that were they said by a man would have counted as sexual harrasment.

And oh yes speaking of fantasies.Abby is supposed to be this former crazy artistic talent,wich is now spilling over into her having a very rich dreamlife.Because you can totally tell by the way she talks and acts that she is an ARTIST soul(not!)

You can tell who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The bad ones are ugly/old and the good ones are beautiful/young-looking as things are in reality *rolls eyes*

The villain was pretty easy to figure out,even the characters suspect it,but they seemed strangely dis-inclined to follow through on the lead. But of course they had more important things to do, go to clubs,angst over their past and fall instantly into love/lust.

And while the idea of TouchStones (reminds me of a film company name)
was interesting,it never got properly explained.The author just throws us into the book expecting the reader to figure out things yourself.

I dont recommend unless youre out of urban fantasy and need a quick fix.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brush of Darkness.