Ticklish Owl's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, faerie-tale, magic, retelling, young-adult
Read from May 27 to 28, 2011

There are few wonderful elements in this is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, like the tea set, which was my favorite character. Unfortunately, the pacing is too slow and much of the dialog and descriptions are repetitive.

Each character has a quirk, which the reader is constantly reminded of; Azalea digs her nails into her palms, Bramble is feisty, Clover is delicate, Delphinium is vain, Primrose is bookish, Bradford is disheveled, Teddy is hungry, the King sucks in his cheeks. Beyond that, the girls all blend together, with no real distinguishing characteristics. If the narrator of the audiobook hadn't done such a good job, I'd never have kept them all straight.

I think this would have been much more enjoyable either as a short story, or as a novel with more character and plot development. Overall, cute story, but overlong in the telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Winter Rose Don't forget - Jessamine has a crystaline voice! How a four year old has a crystaline voice, is beyond me, but hell if we aren't reminded of that fact a good 50 times by the end of the book LOL
You hit the nail on the head!

Ticklish Owl Poor Jess. I forgot about her, as well as princesses F, G, H, I, K, and baby Lily. I usually have a clear mental image of everyone in a story, but not this one.

I can't fathom why the author chose Kale for Princess K. Nobody wants to be named after one of the most maligned vegetables.

I'm going to check the library for Princess of the Midnight Ball, recommended in your review!

The Winter Rose Bramble, Evening Primrose, Goldenrod, Hollyhock, Kale? WTF kind of names are those? Seriously. I think poor Goldenrod has it the worst though. Her or Hollyhock I guess.

Oh, yes! I hope you like it! Sure she does the flower names too... but they actually work. No Kale's in the bunch XD I look forward to seeing what you think about it.