Kogiopsis's Reviews > The Game

The Game by Diana Wynne Jones

Jun 12, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

Definitely not DWJ's strongest book, but it still captures her characteristic whimsy and amazing imagination. The basic idea - that of a 'mythosphere' encircling the planet where it's possible to walk among all the stories ever told - is awesome. My problem, I guess, is that it's so short. I would have loved to read more about the Mythosphere, about the Game and the kids that play it, about their family politics. There was so much crammed into such a small volume that I felt much of it was incomplete.
On the other hand, if you're a myth/legend buff, this book is an Easter egg hunt. It is at times obvious which character corresponds to which myth, and at times it's spelled out, but guessing in the interim is good fun.

If I were younger - especially when I was in my Greek mythology-obsessed phase - I would have loved this book. It's more middle grade/upper elementary than YA, which begs the question of what it was doing in the YA section of my library... oh well. It wasn't a waste of time, so all is well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.