Natali Alejo's Reviews > North of Beautiful

Jun 12, 11

liked it
Read in June, 2011

North of Beautiful:

North of Beautiful is about a young girl named Terra who goes through lots of emotional pain.Terra has a birthmark on her cheek that looks like a big red spot and that's why she has little self confidence and that's how her dad's hurtful messages get to her. She also has a boyfriend, his name is Erik. He is a big jerk that is kind of like her spy( I'll explain why in a minute).Terra and her mom get into a car accident and this is how she meets Jacob. In a way, Jacob is kind of like her because he has a "birthmark" as well. His birthmark is a cleft lip, but he had surgery to fix,but everyone stares at his scar.So throughout the story, Terra and Jacob start to hang out more, and Terra starts to develop an undesirable love for Jacob. Then, Merc(Terra's brother) invites her and Jacob to China and they go geocaching, Needless to say, by the time they get back from China, Erik interrogates Terra about Jacob.So she uses her gained self-confidence to stand up to him.This trip to China helped her learn the meaning of true beauty.

There are three really important characters in this novel. First,there is Terra who has no self-confidence and doesn't like anyone to see or talk about her birthmark. Although I like that she uses artistic expression to express her feelings(sometimes). Then there is Jacob, he is very quite and the few words he speaks are words of wisdom.Finally, there is Erik, the jerk. I have not much else to say about him except he's a BIG FAT JERK FACE that doesn't seem to trust his girlfriend.

I don't want to give away juicy parts of the story that I like but one thing I do like about the story is that Terra finds the real meaning of true beauty on her trip with Jacob. Also, I think one of the things that taught her that meaning is getting to know Jacob and the story behind him. What I dislike about the story is how the dad and Erik have little and no respect for her and what she goes through.(Especially the dad, because he is supposed to be a parental figure of authority.)

Trying to keep up with the author was kind of writing.It was difficult to pronounce some words, especially when it came to all those map terms.Although I love her writing layout, the way she presents the characters into the situation and how it is resolved. When I first started reading this book I was confused and would have to reread sentences, paragraphs, and sometimes even pages to understand what the author was trying to say.

This book was pretty good. If you are looking for a dramatic book with realistic/ come to life situations that also is like a love saga all wrapped in one then this is a book you would enjoy reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North of Beautiful.