Anna's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult
Read from June 12 to 20, 2011

I waited a few days after reading to review because I needed to let the book sink in. I fell absolutely in love with the idea of the book based on the cover, title, and the promise of creepy vintage photographs. The first couple of chapters sucked me right in. As I read on, the book took a different turn from what I was expecting (although I'm not completely sure what I expected). I guess I expected more like a paranormal haunted-house mystery, instead of a fantasy novel complete with time travel, shapeshifters, and running from monsters (and of course, peculiar children). These days, I am not too big of a fantasy reader, and it took me a while to get on board. However, I enjoyed it very much and will continue to read the sequels should this become a series.

I read this book on my nook, but after flipping through the actual book, I know that this is a book I NEED to have as a hard copy. Maybe I would have given it 5 stars if I had read it in its hardcover format.
_____
*Review add-on*
So it's been a month and I'm still thinking about this book... I recently had the chance to purchase this book at a discounted price, and I debated for a long time whether I want to spend money owning this book just yet. This is when I realized I rated it too high (originally 4 stars). I wanted to love this book so much that I hyped it up in my mind; but really it was the idea of this book that I loved rather than the actual story. And when I had the chance to flip through a hard copy, I was smitten mainly with the beautiful book presentation. But if I were true to my feelings about the story and re-read value, I'd only rate it 3-3.5 stars, which is still a solid rating in my system. While enjoyable, I was ultimately disappointed by the very fantasy approach it took.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

06/12/2011 page 43
12.0% "I was sucked in by the title and cover. Love this already! i can tell this will become a favorite!"
06/20/2011 page 352
100.0% "Just finished reading! Not quite sure what to make of it yet, but definitely not what i was expecting."
show 1 hidden update…