Brandy's Reviews > Harmony

Harmony by Project Itoh

Jun 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, experimental, mystery, speculative-fiction, library, teen, adult
Read in June, 2011

Thanks to nanotechnology and medical implants, getting sick is a thing of the past. Death doesn't really happen. Overly-emotional states are detected and biofeedback is utilized to calm a person, so people stay on a relatively even keel. Miach wants Out of this system, and she makes a suicide pact with her two best friends, the three of them starving themselves in order to beat the system. Only Miach succeeds, and more than a decade later, another finally finds her way out, as part of a global suicide epidemic. Tuan is the only one left, and her work with the WHO has her investigating exactly what happened on that day when nearly three thousand people managed to take their own lives. In her research, she learns that she was not the only survivor after all, and that she has some deep family ties to the recent suicides. Someone is planning to take down the system, and they're going to get Tuan's help, whether she knows it or not.

Dystopian for the nanotechnology and physical surveillance (see also: Rash, Pete Hautman; Little Brother, Cory Doctorow), and for parts of the ultimate resolution that I won't get into here. The last third seems more noir-mystery than sci-fi/dystopia, but I can see elements of both. Mostly a book for young adults (by which I mean roughly 20-35 years old) but I can see this appealing to certain jaded, disaffected high school juniors and seniors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harmony.