Jonathan Ruh's Reviews > Batman: Year One

Batman by Frank Miller

Jun 12, 11

Read in June, 2011

Along with The Dark Knight Returns, this is another classic Batman story that pretty much every Batman fan should read at one point or another. The basic take of this book is yet another origin story, but it paints Batman in a more humanistic and realistic nature than previous Bat-books of the time. It also chronicles how the relationship begins and develops between Batman and Commissioner Gordon. Frank Miller's writing is again superb as he shows the knack of how to handle gritty realistic comics fare. Much of what was done in the film Batman Begins can be traced straight to this book. The artwork is also very solid in re-establishing Gotham City as a dark, bleak, "gothic" type of setting in which the story takes place in. The city is basically a character in its own right. My biggest qualm was in the inclusion of Catwoman, which I thought didn't bear much fruit in the direction the story was taking. It almost felt like Miller was just including a classic character for namesake only. Other than that, I can't recommend this book highly enough.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.