Isamlq's Reviews > Songs for a Teenage Nomad

Jun 13, 11

liked it
Read from June 12 to 13, 2011

3.5

A little angsty, melodramatic, with an ending that was was too neat for my taste... but this was not a dud!

I like a character that knows what he or she wants and goes after it. The main reason I like the teenage nomad herein is that she knew what she was, what she wanted (and didn't want,) as well as what she had to offer, (and even if she veered away from those things. well, at least she got back to them at some point.) I respected her. I'm not so sure I can say the same thing about Sam. Everything her friends said about him rang true for me. HE did not deserve HER. She was much too good for him. So what if his Mr. Popular with his football and cute friends? So what if she's "big boned," in the drama club and a little in her own world most of the time? So what if he had issues? She did too! What's that thing about looking and acting like a duck? Well, he behaved like a coward, and I love that she called him out on it. That he turned a new leaf eventually came too late. My dislike for him had become too ingrained; I'd much rather have seen her with the likes of Eli (her clutzy, funny, drama club buddy!)

Apparently, I like my YA contemporary on the serious side. This comes as a surprise me, lover of Anna & Ettiene, as well as all things funny and snarky. More likely, I like my contemps to pick a slot and not be the watered-down version of what they claim to be (case in point the last two books that I didn't enjoy so much.) I didn't like the book that ended with -upid because it was a pale version of what I found funny in rom coms it poked fun at. I don't have the time (nor the energy) for "problems" that aren't real problems. Now, this book is filled to the brim with people with problems. My main issue with it is while they do have problems, some of those things could have been so easily resolved. Again: a problem where there really shouldn't be one.

An affirmation of what I've already discovered: I like music in books. I enjoy how the music in a book can make me connect just a little more with a character, or put me in more of a mood to read what's going to hapen next (yes, this is despite a really cheesy, ansgty song written by one character to another.)

I liked it. Except that ending, it was too happily-ever-after for me; I imagine lot's of things hapening to them other than that ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs for a Teenage Nomad.