Kara's Reviews > Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog

Marley and Me by John Grogan

Mar 12, 08

Recommended for: dog lovers, retriever-lovers, anyone who has been "owned" by their dog
Read in July, 2006

I don't read alot of nonfiction, but I knew I had to read this one. The cover of the book says something about "life and love with the world's worst dog" but knowing retrievers as I do, I knew that Marley wasn't bad--overexuberant is the word I like to use. Of course I fell in love with Marley. Although he does have an ornery streak, his loyalty and love for his people makes up for that. At one point, Marley seems to be the only one who can help his mistress overcome the loss of miscarriage. Another time he protects his master, who is trying to help a young neighbor who has been stabbed. It's amazing to me how much dogs know and how they can pick up on what we are feeling and experiencing. Of course, we all know how the book has to end and I cried like a little kid--then went to my own retrievers (goldens, not labs) and gave them both a big hug. Except for the terribly sad ending, this book was funny and heartwarming. I could see so much of my own dogs in Marley and I laughed out loud throughout. Two paws up for Marley!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marley and Me.