Lee Ann's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

F_50x66
Jun 12, 11

Read in June, 2011

Wow, in the last week I've read 3 extraordinary books...and they've all been YA novels. Now that doesn't surprise me as much as it would surprise the regular reader. I've been a bookseller for more than twenty years and in the last fifteen have witnessed the rise of talent in this wide open genre. From paranormal romances (Stephenie Meyer, the Cast mother/daughter team, Libba Bray, Lauren Kate, Melissa Marr, Maggie Stiefvater, Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl and 3 of my new faves Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Cynthia Hand, and Gwen Hayes) to fantasy adventure (Cassandra Clare, Suzanne Collins, Pittacus Lore, Michael Scott, and Scott Westerfeld) to straight up teen fiction (Joan Bauer, Chris Crutcher, Carol Plum-Ucci, Neal Shusterman, Sonya Sones, & Julie Ann Peters), I've seen their popularity rise and rise and, frankly, Yay, team! Anything that gets teens to read - and read something different that makes them think and feel outside the box - I say, go for it.
The 3 I read this week were Lauren Myracle's miraculous Shine, Adele Griffin's eery Tighter and the subject of this review (finally!), Ransom Riggs' weird (and I mean that in the best sense of that word's denotative meaning) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Uncanny, eery, fantastic, unearthly are all adjectives to apply to not only the children peopling the pages of this volume, but the magical photos that pepper the pages, too. This is one novel you want to own in bookform even though it's available at a less expensive price in ebook! I devoured it in one sitting, loving the relationships between Jake and his grandfather, Miss Peregrine and her charges, and the truly extraordinarily original plot that Ransom cooked up. I can't wait for the next peculiar installment...and there simply has to be one in the wings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.