the golden witch.'s Reviews > Where Demons Fear to Tread

Where Demons Fear to Tread by Stephanie Chong

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ebook, arc-galley, magical-reality, angelic-pretty, demonica, sexy-tiems, reviewed, net-galley
Read from June 20 to 21, 2011

I went into this with medium expectations, hoping that this book would break the traditional bodice ripper romance novel mold when reading the blurb. Sadly, I was disappointed when it almost -- ALMOST did. So close, ladies and gents! Still, it gets three stars for being a solid, well-written (even if a bit cliched) read.

I guess my disappointment lay with the construction of Serena; fledgling angel as a yoga instructor? Kind of predictable. Had she had some other job, maybe something as dangerous as a demon would choose, I would have really enjoyed her character more. With the way the stakes were being played between the angels and demons (and the fact that the angels didn't really seem to care if the lowest angels on the totem pole got thrown out as long as they got the higher job done), I kind of hoped that the main female lead would be a bit fiestier. The only time she was aggressive was...well, I'm not going to spoil it for you, but let's just say it was during one of the important sexy times within the story.

I had no problem with the male leads. They were what I expected, and more. I liked Luciana's character a lot, since she was what a she-demon was supposed to be. The bit with her snake landed her in the cliche catagory, but again, I didn't go into this with the highest of hopes. She did her job. That was good enough for me.

I think the biggest disappointment of the book was how easily Julian rolled over. I was actually pouting by the end of the book. However, Serena finally growing some balls and taking over as the kick-ass heroine more than made up for that. Even with all of the cliches that were there, I loved the fact that Serena went tooth and claw after the demons -- definitely not what we typically expect from angels. I love how she reacted when she figured out her place in the larger picture of things concerning the angels, the demons, and Julian. These two things definitely saved the book, making it a solid read.

There's no doubt, however, that Chong knows how to write, and write well. She definitely sucked me in with her diction from the first page. It's just the rest of it she needs to work on.

So if you want a naughty beach book for the summer, "Where Demons Fear to Tread" doesn't disappoint. If you want more than that, however, I suggest you look elsewhere.

(crossposted to librarything, goodreads, shelfari, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Demons Fear to Tread.