Hayesy's Reviews > Beasts of New York

Beasts of New York by Jon Evans

Sep 07, 2011

bookshelves: my-ebooks
Read from June 13 to 27, 2011

95/100 This could quite possibly go down as one of my favorite books of all time. The characters, the way the book was written, the tie-ins with New York City and the Point of View all come together to create a literary masterpiece.

I loved this book because of it's world, and it's complexity. Even though the book is set in New York, Evans has created a completely different way of looking at it. In a squirrels eyes, cars become death machines. The sewers and drains become a kingdom beneath. Skyscrapers become mountains. Garbage bags become seed pods, full of food. All the different types of animal have their own language, and Patch (Our hero) can speak both mammal and bird. Evans has created an amazing world, with things we can all rate too.

The battle scenes are epic, and I loved that each of the animals became a sort of infantry class. Squirrels and rats become basic soldiers. Cats are like Hummers, powerful and dangerous, but not indestructible, and Hawks become stealth bombers, capable of tearing enemies to shreds. There are other types of animals in the story too, but I won't give them all away.

I could go on for days about how good this book is, and I can genuinely say that, should this book get a bit more hype, it could go down in history as a classic. And the best part is, it's free! You can read it right now, on goodreads! Trust me, you won't regret reading this book.
Read it.

Now.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts of New York.