Marsha's Reviews > Charmfall

1991207
Jan 04, 12

Recommended for: Young Adults and Adults
Read from January 03 to 04, 2012

Finally, Cloe Neill has her mojo back! "Charmfall" is by far the best in the Dark Elite series. After a lack luster first and second book and not to mention the not so wonderful last Chicagoland Vampires fiasco, I was beginning to question whether or not Ms. Neill had lost her ability to enthrall me. Before I begin my review let me just say that I love the cover for this book. No more leather wearing vixens with guns. Just a stunningly beautiful girl dressed in a black tee shirt and jeans.

Lily Parker has settled in nicely to St.Sophia's school for Girls. Not too many know about the Adepts who protect the people from Chicago from the Reapers ( a nasty group of twisted people). However, something strange happens, a reaper is found sucking the soul right out of one of Lily's classmates right on the grounds of her school. When she attempts to use her magic to rescue her classmate, nothing happens. Her magic is gone. So, she does the only thing she can do, attack the jerk with her backpack and her friends case.

Soon Lily discovers that she is not the only one without magic. Apparently all of the Adepts and the Reapers no longer have it goin' on. That is not the only strange thing happening. Nicu, head of a new vampire coven has seems to be heads over heels in love with another one of Lily's classmates who part of the despised 'brat pack.' He wants Lily to set up a meet and because Lily needs a favor, she does so. In order to find out why the magic in the city has disappeared, Lily meet with Sebastian, a reaper who is a frenemy or sorts. Unfortunately, her werewolf boyfriend, Jason Shepard looks at this as the ultimate betrayal and goes missing for a while to sort things out. Territories will be crossed and lines will be blurred. However, in the end, who knows where the chips will fall? You will if you read this book.

On a side note, I have a comment to the editors of this book. Why would you put an excerpt of the first book in the Dark Elite series in the third book? Duh! If I am reading the third book, most likely I have already read the first. Why not put in an exerpt of another series? I'm just sayin.'
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmfall.

01/04/2012 page 225

message 1: by Karma (new)

Karma Marsha, I didn't read the first 2 Dark Elite's, but based on your review I might give Charmfall a shot. Do you think I can start with the 3rd in the series? And would you say this book is more on the teen side of YA or adult side? I don't care for the younger YA novels. Thanks! Katie

Marsha Katie:
I would recommend that you start with book one and then move on. With regards to whether it is on the teen side of YA, at this point in the series, I believe that it is. However, there are overtones that suggest that might change. I hope this was helpful.

message 3: by Karma (new)

Karma Thanks so much, Marsha!