Frankie's Reviews > Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich

Pistol by Mark Kriegel

U_50x66
Jun 12, 11

Read in June, 2011

I did'nt really know what to think when I first got the book from my brother. But as i started reading it it became a story of one of the greatest basketball players to ever play the game. They call him the link from old basektball into the new, flashier, entertaining basketball. He revolutionized the game of basketball and averaged 44.2 points. If ther was a 3 point line bakc hten he probalby would have averaged high 50's. He was a terrific ball handler, a great passer, and a even better scorer.
Pete's life was a very tragic one but i'm glad he finally found peace in Christianity. I do not agree with Press's (Pete's father) methods. He put a basketball in his son's hands and told him to dribble and play at age 4. That is pretty dam stupid. I wish my dad did that to me but that is because i love basketball. Whenever I see people forcing their children to do drills I just kind of shake my head. Cause most of hte time the children have no idea what they're doing. You should play basketball because you want to, not because your parents force you to. Basketball is going to be fun, Pete never really smiled while playing basketball. It's sad how he never really enjoyed the game while playing in the NBA.
Personally I enjoyed this book alot. While reading about Pete's amazing life, and all the drills he did. I had this ffeeling of playing basketball for some reason. EVen if i'm 8 years behind Pete, he started at 4 I started at 12. I think this book gave me inspiration, telling me I need to work harder to be in the NBA, there are people right now probably working on their game. This book was very motivational and just like when I saw the Mav's win the NBA finals an hour ago. I feel like playing basketball.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pistol.