Lauren's Reviews > 100 Countries, 5,000 Ideas: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See, What to Do

100 Countries, 5,000 Ideas by National Geographic Society

1291915
Jun 17, 11

bookshelves: travel, library-loan
Read from June 12 to 17, 2011

I probably shouldn't be allowed to read books like this because it gives me such insatiable wanderlust... not the right thing for an unemployed person to have! The format of the book is very helpful with the eponymous 100 countries listed in alphabetical order. Each section highlights basic facts and tips about the featured destination, and a sidebar column also provides info on the Pros/Cons and Safety Tips for different regions within the country.

I was able to brush up on some geography and add more places to the bucket list. Like all National Geographic publications, it features jaw-dropping photographs and detailed maps. As with any print media, there are political and cultural disputes that arise that change some of these destinations (even with the 2011 release date) and their attractions. The safety notices are the most affected with the recent revolutions and political shifts in the Middle East (Egypt, Tunisia) and the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Not common to read reference books like this cover-to-cover, but I did and found it quite enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Countries, 5,000 Ideas.

06/12/2011 page 170
43.0% "A reference book that has amazing photos - a list of countries and what to do in those countries... I am sick with wanderlust..."
06/17/2011 page 258
65.0% "This book is feeding my wanderlust - makes me want to go to places that I barely knew existed..."