Megan's Reviews > The Off Season

The Off Season by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: not-mine-library, young-adult, favorites
Read from June 28 to 29, 2011

The Off Season is a solid follow up to Dairy Queen. We follow D.J. Schwenk into her junior year of high school as she continues to balance school, family demands and of course Brian Nelson. In Dairy Queen D.J. spent a lot of time figuring out who she is and who she wants to be. In this second installment D.J. applies the knowledge she learned over the summer. The Off Season resolves a lot of issues left up in the air at the end of Dairy Queen and shows even more what a motivated, hardworking, awesome girl D.J. is.

This series has me hooked. Although I love Murdock’s decision to wrap it up in a trilogy, I can’t help but mourn that after one more book my time on Schwenk farm will be over.

On the other hand, it will be great to not have to read about the Minnesota Golden Gophers being a decent team. As if! At one point, there is a discussion about whether or not Win’s college team (Washington Huskies) would have a chance of meeting Bill’s team (Minnesota Golden Gophers) in the Rose Bowl. Ahhahahaha. Let’s see.. Minnesota hasn’t been to the Rose Bowl since 1962 and that is only because The Ohio State University declined the offer to go that year. (What the heck, Woody?) Therefore, it’s been 48 years since this team has actually been to the Rose Bowl, furthermore no other Big Ten team has gone so many years in between Rose Bowl games. (I say "in between" as if they have gone recently or have a chance of going anytime soon...) Another bit of trivia, in the 1962 Rose Bowl Minnesota did beat UCLA 21-3. However the year before, in 1961 Minnesota went to the Rose Bowl and lost to the Washington Huskies 17-7. Those two trips are Minnesota’s only Rose Bowl invites. As I said in my review of Dairy Queen, it’s a sucktastic team.

UPDATE: This series rocks! Just finished the final installment,
Front and Center and loved it. Going back to rate each book in this trilogy 5 stars (8/22/11)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Off Season.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Someone is really into football here;)

Flannery I love when alumni of THE Ohio State University in the NFL say their alma mater on broadcasted games.

Megan It's so tempting to shout out an "O-H" right now, but I have to keep reminding myself this is a site for book dorks, not sports dorks, lol.

Columbus is an incredibly obnoxious and devoted college football town. Even though a lot of non-Buckeye fans make fun of the whole "THE" being said before OSU, I love that students, alumni and fans just embrace the "THE" all the more for it :)

Flannery I grew up in Pittsburgh so I know what intense football fans are like:) There are quite a few Buckeye fans in the Burgh, but many more Joe Paterno fans, as I'm sure you know.

message 5: by Megan (last edited Jun 29, 2011 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Oh yeah, we love Joe Paterno here... well, except for one weekend out of the year ;)

A few years back I moved to Phoenix and was simply amazed to be living in a college town with a NCAA football team because you would never know it. Even on a Saturday in the fall you hardly saw Sun Devil stuff anywhere. People were not crazy about football which, as naiive as it may sound, was an unheard of concept to me, lol. I just took it for granted that everyone lived, breathed, ate nothing but sports if they were so lucky to have a team in their city.

Flannery That's how I feel living in Seattle. I mean, there are Seahawks fans, sure, but even the most mild Steelers fans put them to shame.

Megan It's crazy. "fan" comes from "fanatical" right? Fans should be passionate.

Julia And my experience with this book couldn't be more different: i love in spite that DJ and her family is sports- mad! I like that they're trying to figure out a way for their farm to pay, that they work hard, that they are poor, but rarely notice.

Lisa If I knew anything about football these sorts of inaccuracies would probably drive me nuts. Luckily I'm blissfully ignorant. :)