Katie's Reviews > Imperfect Birds

Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott

Jun 12, 11

Read in June, 2011

Subtitle: "Helicoper parents and their spoiled brat enabled children". Or, "Helicopter Parenting for Dummies". Ultimately, I ended up thinking that Lamott actually *meant* to criticize these helicopter parents with this work of fiction, not have us empathize with them, so I guess if that's the case then I totally agree with her. But I still found it unbelievably irritating to read over and over about these enabling parents. They just KEPT making the same stupid parenting mistakes over and over, to the point where I kept wondering if I was repeating chapters. Even the "hardass" (the dad) was a total wuss and let the daughter out of her grounding on one occasion, and she chose to use it to, once again, abuse more drugs and get arrested. But the parents never learned.

I also have a thing against rich Marin county women who don't have to work who just sit around and complain about their lack of a life and how much it revolves around their children. Hello, so get a hobby, or join the work force like the rest of us suckers. Oh wait! But you are privileged and don't have to. (Yes, I have an attitude problem). Anyway, this whole book rubbed me the wrong way, but I suppose it did me a service it that it took from 99% sure I don't want children to 100% sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Birds.