Joy's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jun 25, 2011

Read from June 11 to 22, 2011

Technically I am giving this 4 1/2 stars for minor editing flaws. The worst example is referring to "Billy" when there is no Billy in the book anytime before or after.

Having that out of the way, we discovered the book quite by accident only to learn that it is already soring up the book charts and has a movie contract. I say "we" because this was a summer read-aloud that I shared with my husband. It was great fun to read, comment, and speculate about the events, and pass it over to share the pictures. Seeing the pictures that inspired the plot was great fun--although Kindle doesn't do them justice. (I believe most pictures are more vintage than WWII era; probably around the turn of the last century)

My husband described it as "a little childish" and my answer is that there are portions that I would not want a child to read. I would describe it as an adult book written with children as main characters. Events are certainly not childish.

I love the author's style. Very visual and colorful. If the movie is half as good, I'm going to be hiding my eyes a lot. Looking forward to more from this author.
44 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

06/12
02/07 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki what a great idea, it would be a treat to find someone to read together!

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Luethy Where does it mention Billy? I must have missed that . . .

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Billy was on page 95, Kindle location 1191. I think we caught it because we were reading aloud.

Christina Simons I also noticed a couple of editing problems--confusing "desert" and "dessert," and then the phrase "all of THE sudden" rather than "all of A sudden." I loved the book, but I sure do hate to run across errors like those.

Sara Christina I remember that line I read it over like five times and couldn't make sense of it lol
I just figured I was being dumb and kept reading!

Eric Mueller Heh, I noticed "Billy" also and wondered what that was all about.

Drew Graham Hmm... no Billy in my copy... I wonder if it's a typo that was noticed and corrected in later printings.

Eileen Chavez Probably just some dud at the bar :)

Fionna On the Billy-thing : I was sure that my (ebook) edition wouldn't have that, because normally those mistakes throw me for six, but sure enough, latest edition still has it. (Should have been Oggie, I guess the author changed the character's name at some point...?)

Meredith Tanner I'm currently enjoying the book but the errors are maddening... I almost put it down over his continued use of the phrase "taking a piss" when he means to say "taking THE piss". Call me a snob, but these sorts of things diminish an author's credibility in my opinion.

message 11: by Drew (new) - rated it 3 stars

Drew Graham That's not snobbish, that's just responsible reading and a reasonable expectation of good writing. An author should generally be able to stand up against literary scrutiny.

Natalie I'm so glad you guys liked this book. I really enjoyed it. I'm tired of everybody saying that this is a horrible book. It like one of my favorites, I read it like five times. This book helped me last year when my family was falling apart. I just love it I bought the first and second one and I'm waiting for the fourth I'm super excited!! :))

Meredith Tanner Clearly spelling and grammar are not a priority for some.

Storm Arashi I adored this book, read it slower then I normally do my books to savor it, and since I have had a hard time finding books to keep my attention as of late this was a sigh of relief. That I still love reading as much as I thought I did

Justine Gower I was surprised by how much I liked this book. In my opinion, the best books are those that keep us thinking, wondering, and asking questions after we are finished reading. This book does that for me. I'm still thinking about the concept of the "loop" and time travel and whether Jacob will get to go home at some point. And will he bump into his grandfather as a younger man as he continues traveling?

I'm not giving this the full five stars because there were things that didn't seem fully plausible to me. This is a sci-fi/fantasy type of story, so I realize not everything will be logical. I'm talking about things like Jacob's relationship with his father, who was all too willing to let his teenage son wander an island in a strange country all alone, for 12+ hours at a time. Many of their interactions didn't feel realistic to me, which was a little distracting.

In all, this was a good book. Fast paced, interesting plot. I just picked up the sequel and I'm interested to see what happens next.

message 16: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Stump My ten year old daughter read this book first, then insisited I did. Yes, there are some adult themes, (the Holocaust), but I don't think my daughter after being exposed to this book was harmed in any way. She loved it.