Penny's Reviews > Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: blerg, chick-lit, crazypants-protagonist, disappointing, meh, weirds-me-out, witchy-woman, reviewed-books
Recommended for: No one.
Read from June 01, 2011 to January 25, 2012, read count: 1

I started reading this book in June. JUNE! I finally finished reading it last night. Admittedly I liked Imaginary Girls at first--like the first couple of chapters--then almost immediately it was all I could do to finish one page every time I picked this book up. The story is not that interesting. The writing-style is irritating and pretentious. It feels as though author goes out of her way to say things in the most roundabout way, in a way that's meant to be artsy and poetic. I wouldn't go so far as say the prose are purple-ish...but...yeah...almost.

Plus, I didn't like the older sister, Ruby, which is sort of a huge problem because a lot of the story has to do with the MC's (Chloe) hero-worship of said older sister. Hate is a strong word, but I'm willing to go so far as say I HATE Ruby. She sucks. And while I can understand Chloe's allegiance to Ruby, I still think she gives her sister way too much control over every aspect in her life. And the worst part is she does so gladly. That wouldn't be so bad if at the end of the novel things had been different. But, no, I didn't get the sense that Chloe was a better person by the end of the novel, if she'd learned some sort of a lesson. If anything, she's regressed. And that's really sad.

So, while I do think the cover is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL, and like the fact that this is a standalone with an original premise, I still do not like this book. I don't know who I'd recommend it to. No one, probably. But if you're wanting to read this, don't let my review stop you. Read Imaginary Girls if you feel compelled to do so. Who knows? It might be just up your alley. 1.5 stars.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imaginary Girls.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I can't believe you stuck with it and finished it!

Katie Ugh, it was awful. I don't know how I managed to finish it, either.

Annalisa I thought I was the only one who wasn't enamored by this.

Emily Harrington Glad it's not just me!

Emily Harrington Glad it's not just me!