Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Jun 12, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-would-teach, classroom-library, making-changes, memoir, multicultural, nonfiction
Read in June, 2011

What an amazing book. I read it in just a few short hours without a break because it engaged me completely. Nujood is a brave young woman who faced her family's horrible decision at the young age of ten with a brave face. She may have been scared, but she endured things most women do not experience in their entire lives. After just two months of marriage she makes a decision that many women do not make, and if they do, not until the marriage has gone on for years.

Nujood is a pioneer in women's rights in Yemen, and she's only thirteen years old today, maybe fourteen. I hope to someday have this book on the list to teach in my school because it shows a truly remarkable young woman and a decision she made that changed not only her life, but the lives of many other young girls who were in the same position she found herself in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Tabak May I read? Add to my diminished pile? I have many books to bring back!

Jennifer Lavoie Nicole wrote: "May I read? Add to my diminished pile? I have many books to bring back!"

Haha yes you and Colleen can read it. It's a very fast read. Shouldn't take you more than a few hours because you will not be able to put it down. :)

Colleen I finished it when i ot home on friday, the story is amazing. I dont think she quite realized what she was doing at the time.

Jennifer Lavoie Colleen wrote: "I finished it when i ot home on friday, the story is amazing. I dont think she quite realized what she was doing at the time."

You're right, I don't think she realized it either. Hindsight is very often 20/20. But she was still incredibly brave for what she did. What do you think of this book for a teaching standpoint?