maricar's Reviews > Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie

Mar 12, 08

bookshelves: favorites, paranormal, fantasy-adventure

is it silly for an adult to thoroughly enjoy this book??

'cause i did.

and i've a feeling that a decade from now, i'd still find this surprisingly wonderful.

though the author did not belabor the fantastical world Haroun found himself embroiled in with thick imagery and endless descriptions that in some books become tiresome, there nevertheless was a peculiarly believable aspect in the realm of the Sea of Stories. what i also immensely loved about rushdie's narration was that, in the case of our young hero, there were no long-winded ruminations of the self, no drawn-out complications on what is exactly good and evil, and perhaps best of all, no lingering soppy accounts of events after their happy ending. everything was told, in relation to the story, in a fast-paced and very matter-of-factly way. we have to remember that Haroun was a just a very young man, and though he sometimes falls into bouts of doubt and even cynicism, he essentially acted in a manner befitting his age--sometimes impulsively and even with the tenacity of a child bent on seeing things put to rights in a world gone awry, yet also with remarkable restraint and poise in the midst of a foreign land, without putting on airs of heroism.

all the other characters in the story were also amusing to read about, even the bad guys. even if there was a hint of menace, you'd still feel that it's a lighthearted story--only when you're halfway reading it do you realize there's more to it than meets the eye, as Rashid would say about his son.

the story captures the reality of the unfortunate tendency of adults to lose their wonderful innocence. fairytales forgotten. sometimes even corrupted and sewn in with new meanings that blur their purity as we grow older and more preoccupied with our detached way of living. we've become increasingly cynical, to the point that we can be contemptuous of what we have so blisfully embraced as children. sad really, but there it is. which is another great thing about this book--it doesn't scold nor spout morals. it just lays there for you to enjoy yet somehow makes you think. even for just a moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haroun and the Sea of Stories.