Carmen's Reviews > Light a Penny Candle

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy

F 50x66
Jun 12, 2011

Read in June, 2011

Two girls and their families are profiled in this book. Aisling is Irish, one of a number of kids in a large noisy family. Elizabeth is English, an only child. She is sent to Aisling's family during World War 2, as many children were sent to the country. Her mother had gone to school with Aisling's mother many years prior to this. Family dynamics are a big theme of this book. Elizabeth is shy, quiet and unsure of herself. In this large family with lots of affection she learns how to express herself. She and Aisling become life-long friends. Both chose futures which did not work out as they had planned. The first time I read this book I was intrigued, as Aisling's older sister marries someone who shares my son's name, first and last! This time I was especially stuck by how thier lives did not turn out as they expected. The dealing with that is what I am currently going through, so that really struck me this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light a Penny Candle.