Jessica's Reviews > Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain

Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wolf

Jun 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: education, science
Read in June, 2011

This was our book club book for June. Wolf divides her book into three sections: how the concept of reading developed, how the human brain learns to read, and what happens when a person cannot read (dyslexia). The information in the first section was interesting to me because I did not know much about the way alphabets were created, but the writing was a little weak. I enjoyed the middle section; her writing isn't great but I found the workings of the brain fascinating. The problem is Wolf switches back and forth from scientific and physiological brain information and descriptions more suited to a layperson. I occasionally got lost and wished she had used more definitions or footnotes.

Our club had to cancel the meeting because only a couple people were available, and I did not feel compelled to read the third section.

Reading is probably the only skill that ever came easily to me, and DS1 learned to read at 3.5. This book made me much more appreciative of an ability that I pretty much take for granted, yet one that brings me considerable joy. If you have a slight interest, I recommend reading the middle section.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proust and the Squid.