Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > Знакът на жрицата

Знакът на жрицата by Lene Kaaberbøl

Jul 22, 2011

bookshelves: own-on-paper, 2011-read-list, genre-fantasy, class-young-adult
Read from July 09 to 11, 2011

When I started on the first book of the quartet I had some trouble getting into the style - as a friend of mine said, Northern Europe writing is difficult to swallow, not a spoon for every mouth.

That's why, though I had bought the second book, it took me an year to have a go at it.

But once I started, I couldn't stop. I read through quickly and was even eager for more. The return appearance of known characters was great, as was the new and enthralling plot.

I'm still missing the romance factor, as I like to have it in my books, but the adventure and the friendships are so good I went through the second book much faster than the first. And yeah, the evil ones were really evil - I mean, the things they put an eleven-year-old girl through were gruesome at the very least. Good thing Dina's a girl with a spine of steel.

And while the first book was about Nico, this one was in great part about Davin, Dina's older and boyishly naive brother; about how he seeks to prove himself a man, but goes through so much pain and trouble that he actually appreciates the maxims think before you act and be careful what you wish for...

Lene Kaaberbol's writing is consuming and beautiful, the way she describes with picturesque details the surroundings and the way of life of common, Mediaeval peasants is charming and joltingly realistic.

Now I can't wait to buy the next to books and see where they'll take the story. (Keeping my fingers crossed for a Nico/Dina twist)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Знакът на жрицата.