David L's Reviews > Into the Looking Glass

Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo

M 50x66
Jun 12, 11

Read in June, 2011

John Ringo can do better. The plot McGuffin is nice, and provides a better introduction to the premise than most alien invasion books. However relying on another McGuffin to save the earth, and yet another to set up the sequel, is being lazy as an author. Did somebody plot themselves into a corner?

The touches of humour rescue the book from being a 1950's style bug eyed monster book. But even with this the entire cast has a two dimensional quality and the intrepid jack of all trades scientist who can continually reach solutions by cobbling a new device together from three pieces of string and a toaster (OK I am exaggerating here, but not by much), and his fearless soldier bodyguard/companion does come straight from central casting.

The standard of writing is very good. I don't think John Ringo could produce a badly written book if he tried. Yet though an enjoyable read and a keeper, it is a disappointment, purely because I know it could have been so much more.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Looking Glass.