mark monday's Reviews > In the Garden of Iden

In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker

131922
Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: romantika, into-the-past, futuristik

hello there, little romance. i see you! you are trying to hide, aren't you? well you picked some good camouflage, i must say. you've concealed yourself within a fairly operatic setting: the tale of an immortal teenage cyborg employed by a secretive and futuristic Company, sent on missions in our far-flung past to save extinct plants, waiting for the day that your future finally catches up with your employer's apparently golden present. it is quite a setting, i almost didn't see you there! you are surrounded by perfectly accomplished elizabethan period detail, some deep themes about religion vs. free will, some sophisticated ideas about predestination and predetermination. you are written in a clear, careful, unsentimental way. but there you are, little romance, romantic as can be, perhaps thinking that you will be overlooked simply because of the grandeur of your surroundings.

but now that i've found you, never fear - lay your insecurities to rest! you are a fine little romance, touching and subtle and carefully wrought. your lovers are wonderful creations and their love feels true. there are many good things to be said about a perfectly accomplished romance, so you have nothing to be ashamed of! your camouflage, the ongoing story that i am eager to follow - it is an absorbing place in which you've hidden. but you are worthy for what you are, little romance. stand proud!
41 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Iden.

message 1: by Flannery (new)

Flannery I'd like to read a little romance written by someone named Kage. I'm glad he went the way of authordom rather than the obvious choice with that name...American Gladiator.

mark monday lol, i thought the same thing myself...until i found out that Kage is a lady! who would've thunk it? rest in peace, Kage Baker.

message 3: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Whaaaat? I stand by the gladiator statement, though. They had some badass ladies on that show. I used to have some friends in college that were 5 minutes late every single day because they were watching it.

Was this a random find in a used bookstore?

mark monday nope, a group read. for Beyond Reality, i think. but i've been meaning to read her for a while now. apparently The Company series goes on for over 8 volumes. lots more to look forward to!

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad Wow. Good review, mark

mark monday thanks brad!

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad No, thank you. It is one of those reviews I wish I had written.

mark monday i've noticed you usually like my more creative ones! they are certainly more fun to write, although more challenging as well.

message 9: by Brad (new)

Brad Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. But I am a fairly experimental kinda guy, so that makes sense. I do love your reviews, though. I look forward to them, and this one smoked.

message 10: by mark (last edited Jun 22, 2011 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday and thank you again for the nice words! while i'm at it, thanks for your own awesome and often very creative reviews.

now don't you go and thank me for thanking you, we've got to break this vicious circle of thanks!

message 11: by Brad (new)

Brad okay, why don't you just go the fuck to sleep?!

message 12: by mark (last edited Jun 22, 2011 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday yeah, now that's the kind of talk i like!

and one day i will read that book, it has gotten so many glowing reviews. in a way, i feel like i've read it already, i've read so much about it.

message 13: by Brad (new)

Brad Don't read it, mark. Go to audible and download Samuel L. Jackson narrating it. Amazing!