Beth A.'s Reviews > How Mirka Got Her Sword

Jun 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Read on June 11, 2011 , read count: 1

So, this was a very original story; it definitely didn’t follow an ordinary fantasy format. Mirka’s character felt real. Some things were a bit bizarre, like a manic pig stalking Mirka and repeatedly stealing her homework and (view spoiler)

It showed an oddly realistic version of family life with conflict, guilt, fights, loyalty, and love. I enjoyed how her prickly, argumentative stepmother warms up and comforts her when she really needs it.

The illustrations were, um, unique, interesting, expressive, and definitely not “cute”.

Mostly, the description of Orthodox Jewish culture was really interesting, but at times it felt a little heavy handed.

It was interesting and unique; also realistic and bizarre alternately. I would have liked to like it more than I did, I think the problem may have been that it had a slightly disjointed feel, it just didn’t flow smoothly. But I do think it’s worth reading, just because it’s such a unique story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Mirka Got Her Sword.