Shannon's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fugly-covers
Read on April 03, 2012, read count: 2

Wow. Well, this was one of the weirder volumes of this series. The cover itself kind of creeped me out. It reminded me of something out of the Alien movie franchise or the row of fetuses in a jar that I always see whenever I go to Cosi. I don't know why, but the picture on the front of Yorick is just odd. The first half of the volume was equally strange. I thought the jokes about 355's friend Agent 711 were really funny, but I was seriously WTFing what happened when Yorick was placed in her care. One minute Yorick was drinking tea and having a nice chat. Next thing I knew there was some freaky fem-dom bondage stuff going on. I honestly wasn't expecting that. At all. When I found out the point of the things happening, it made sense, but jeez, talk about being a little overboard! I learned a lot more than I ever wanted to learn about Yorick. There was some TMI stuff from Yorick's childhood with the tied to a tree thing. I thought the flies on the tissue thing was unnecessary and I was sufficiently grossed out and wished I hadn't read it. I will say though that I was kind of enjoying this storyline because it made for some sexy Yorick pics haha. I know he was steps away from being violated and I shouldn't have been focusing on what I was, but oh my god, Yorick makes for some good eye candy. Whoever drew Yorick should pat themselves on the back because the man is kinda super attractive.

The second half was pretty good as well. Yorick and his crew are still trying to get to San Francisco and they run into more trouble. It turns out that the Amazons aren't the only psychos the plague has given birth to. They meet a group called the Sons of Arizona, who are basically a bunch of gun-crazy, radicals going on about government conspiracies. I thought that the Amazons were bad, but holy crap, this new group gives them a run for their money with all their paranoia. Yorick, 355, and Dr. Mann also meet grease monkey PJ and I loved her character. I liked the interactions between her and Yorick and I was sad with how things turned out. Even though bad things happened to Yorick in this volume, it was nice to see some growth with his character. By the end, you get to see that there's more to him than being some bum magician. Getting this insight to his character was kind of upsetting because I never realized that he was feeling the way he was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.