Katy's Reviews > The Knowledge of Good & Evil

The Knowledge of Good & Evil by Glenn Kleier

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: vine-book
Read from April 28 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I've sat down to write this review many times, but have never been able to find the words to describe how it affected me. Finally I just decided to go for it and say what's in my heart.

I'm not a religious person - I'm more of a spiritual one - but this book was amazing! It questions dogma but at the same time shows how absolute faith, even when considered to be insanity by outsiders, can be its own reward.

Ian Barringer and his fiance Angela Weber run a television show that explores supernatural mysteries and generally uncovers that they are fakes in some way. Angela is a skeptic, but Ian - a former priest - is a true believer and intensely (one could almost say obsessively) focused on uncovering the truth of what lies beyond death, what happens in the afterlife. He believes there is a way to see what is in the afterlife and come back from it. First he tries intense meditation, but when that doesn't work he goes one step farther, and has himself flat-lined under medical supervision. What he experiences is amazing.

A major part of the plot is also his seeking for the missing journal of Father Lewis Merton, who claimed to have visited the afterlife and returned with knowledge that would change the world. However, he died before he could announce his discovery. Ian follows in the footsteps of Merton's last journey trying to discover the missing journal.

However, this all threatens the structure of the Catholic church; if people knew what happened after death, there would be no more faith and no need for churches. A top-secret branch of the Vatican, containing deadly assassins, is after Ian in order to stop him before he finds Merton's truth.

This is a fast-paced story, lots of action and suspense, and add the ideas contained in this novel on top and it's like the best icing on the best cake ever. PLEASE don't miss a chance to read this book - you will not regret it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knowledge of Good & Evil.