Ann's Reviews > Dragon Slippers

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

F 50x66
Jun 11, 2011

Read in June, 2011

Of course, a marvelous confection from Jessica Day George.

Fun, engrossing, interesting, and with a touch of romance, this book really had it all.

Seeing that the publishing date was 2007, I actually didn't come across this author until January 2011. A friend, a particularly avid reader, read "Princess of the Midnight Ball", loved it, and gave it to me to read. I loved that book, too, and finished it very quickly. After reading it, I discovered the sequel, "Princess of Glass" and devoured that as well (Does anyone know if there are plans for a third? Thanks!). I had great respect for George's perfect brand of storytelling. I looked up George on Goodreads and saw that she had other books. However, I was apprehensive towards reading another one of her books, because I was afraid they wouldn't live up to the standards of her great princess books. I was truly wrong on that count, because I think I liked the fact that "Dragon Slippers" was a complete original story, unlike the two "Princess" books (though I still love those!).

So, here's the basic story: A poor orphan, Creel, lives with her silly aunt and uncle (not to mention her minor but kind-sounding brother, Hagen). Her aunt proposes that because they are so poor, and Creel isn't really that great for helping around the farm, she sends her to the dragon of their town who was previously rumored, Theodarus. Creel talks her way out of staying there, and gains of pair of beautiful slippers. Her dream is to open up a dress shop in the King's Seat, a city that houses the palace. Through a twist of fate she meets another dragon on the way to the King's Seat. After befriending him, she makes her way to the city and finds work there. From here on out, we encounter a prince that fancies Creel, a bratty princess that hates Creel, and many people who love Creel's work. We discover that these slippers are significant (hence the title), experience a war, and the whole thing ties up with a convenient cliff hanger.

This was a book that left me constantly drawn to it. I would agree with some of the other reviews on the book about the cover: it doesn't fit the book AT ALL. Personally, I think that it should just picture Creel or just the slippers.

Anyway, past my prejudices against the cover, this is truly a great book and I am going to read the second and third as soon as I can! This is a great book for people of all ages to enjoy. Boys and girls alike would enjoy this book because it has very interesting elements and doesn't have gooey romantic plot lines (but still a bit!!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Slippers.