Paradoxical's Reviews > Entwined

1964421
Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in June, 2011

Entwined is, above all else, really, really cute. Seriously, you have a group of girls who love each other very much and yet are sisters so of course they embarrass you and do things like throw potatoes at you and sneak into a ball and hide behind the tree in order to watch the dancers. It is difficult to give each sister a distinct personality, and so they come off as rather one dimensional, but at the very least you can tell a good portion of them apart from the other. I feel more charmed than anything else.

The main character, Azalea, is the eldest of the princesses (who number 12 total). Her mother dies and their house is in mourning, which means that they aren't allowed to dance (among other things). Their father, the king, is emotionally distant and there's always friction between him and the rest of the family. Really, the man is just emotionally awkward and I can't help but like him anyway. Um. So the king goes off to fight a war, and the girls, who are banned from dancing, discover a magic, secret corridor that leads them to Keeper and his dancers. The girls go off to dance every night, even when their father comes back. It's a delightful retelling of the original fairy tale.

The girls are a bit... well, stupid. Well, maybe less stupid, and more naive. They don't really think there's anything wrong with a magic corridor and the mysterious Keeper, even disregarding the fact that the man is trapped for a reason. They're sweet like a bunch of bumbling puppies. I like them anyway. It's kind of amazing.

This book is more about the relationships between the sisters and their father, as well as their love for dancing, than anything else. The plot is slow and unless you enjoy (like I did) reading pages about how the sisters interact with one another, then you're not going to like this book. There's little action. It all comes rushing out at the end and even then it's fairly short. Everything is also rather predictable. Seeing as how I think of this book as more cute and not serious I didn't mind at all.

It's, well, adorable. I don't know how else to describe it. It's not deep, it's not particularly exciting, but it is cute and funny and I can't help but love how well the family gets along with one another. The writing and characters make me smile. But if you're looking for something fast paced and more plot oriented, this definitely is not a book for you. 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.