Carol E.'s Reviews > The Year We Left Home

The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson

Jun 11, 2011

Read from November 21 to December 04, 2011

I enjoyed this book. The writing was very good... the kind where I would go back and re-read a sentence because the word combinations were beautiful. One example goes something like this: 'she was the kind of person who left stunned space where she had been.' I know that's not exact, but it was just a great image, and a cool way to describe a person like that... we've all known such people, I think.

It was the story of a family over a 30 year period (approximately). I wish I had kept a family tree in a list I could refer to as I read. Each chapter was a different person, in a different place, and a different year. Most chapters ended with a surprising event, after which you wonder, "well what happened next??" The answer would come a few chapters later, and sometimes only implied with the new activities of ensuing years.

I kind of liked that style, but at the same time it threw me off a tad, as I tried to keep up with who was who. I would have done better reading this book on a vacation, I think, when I could given it my full attention for longer periods of time and not forget who was who.

A good story, well told, beautiful language, interesting and engaging storyline of family relationships. 4 stars out of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year We Left Home.