Kate (Nomalicious Reads)'s Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: netgalley, reviewed
Read from July 18 to 28, 2011

More reviews can be found over at my blog: Nomalicious Reads

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson left me with a bunch of mixed feelings.

It started off really slow, for me at least, and at times I felt like I was reading a documentary. It was a slow reading for me, but I was glad that it picked up the pace, eventually.

It was strange, very strange, but it was good too - hence my mixed feelings.

One thing that royally pissed me off was the description of netball, I understand why it was described that way, but it was just. So. WRONG. (Not going to go into details though, just me being silly)

I thought that how Rory got her 'gift' was a bit of a let down, but the end made up for that BIG TIME!

The climax and the ending made up for a lot of the slow pacing throughout the book, I'm actually looking forward to picking up the sequel to find out what will happen next.

Rory was a nice character, bit boring at times but I liked her. I loved Boo, Stephen and Callum and hope that Rory will be kicking ass with them in the next book!

Jeremy: 'the love interest' on the other hand... I strongly disliked him. I hope that Rory kicks him to the curb in the second book and finds a decent love interest.

I think that I would have liked it to be a bit more creepy, it picked up the pace in the end, yes. But I wanted to be sitting at the edge of my seat, scared to turn the next page, yet so engrossed I just had to know what was coming next.

For a book that I was excited for then thought that it had no hope, Maureen did a wonderful job of creeping up on me.

I really, really want to read the next one!

My best wishes and good luck go out to Maureen for the sequel, I hope that she can continue on with how she ended the first.

I give The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson: 3 noms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

07/18/2011 page 18
5.0% "So, I'm pissed at how netball has been described... I understand, but Grrrrrr"
07/18/2011 page 88
24.0% "sometimes this feels like I'm reading a documentary"
07/18/2011 page 170
46.0% "this is weeeird"
07/28/2011 page 341
92.0% "arrrgh Rory don't do it..... you did it! STUPID GIRL!"
07/28/2011 page 370
100.0% "well after all that, that was a bloody good ending!"
show 5 hidden updates…