Mandy's Reviews > If I Am Missing or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love, Murder, and Liberation

If I Am Missing or Dead by Janine Latus

Mar 12, 08

bookshelves: memoir
Read in March, 2008

Well, due to the blizzard, I got to finish this one in one weekend, which almost never happens these days! This book was a memoir written by the sister of a woman who goes missing, and her family finds a letter indicating she "knew" more or less that her then-boyfriend would likely kidnap or murder her. The title is what drew me to the book. But most of the book outlines the author's (the victim's older sister) description of their family life growing up, and the relationship with her sister-- though I felt more information about the sister's life could've added a lot more to the story. Though the title and synopsis of the book drive readers through at a pretty fast pace, the ending left me wanting more. Basically I sped through the whole thing, and felt I got really close to the writer/sister, but was left with little to no real understanding of what happened to the victim or the perpetrator at the end. It's a good quick read, but the ending leaves much to be desired!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Am Missing or Dead.