Kristen's Reviews > Anya's Ghost

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: youngadult, paranormal-fantasy, own-it, graphicnovels
Read from June 11 to 18, 2011

First Impression:
I love graphic novels and when this one came in my mailbox, I just loved the feel of the outside. The ghost in Anya's hair along with the title are raised. And then at the top is a quote from Neil Gaiman. So I knew it was going to rock my socks. If Gaiman loves it, I'll love it.

While Reading:
Anya is your typical teenage girl. She wants to fit in, she tries not to eat the fatty food her mom makes, and she completely ignores her geeky family friend on the way to school so as to appear more normal. And, of course, she dreams about dating a popular and good-looking guy who unfortunately is already taken.

Of course, everything changes when she falls down a well.

There's a ghost that belongs to that skeleton and she makes it out of the well with Anya to Anya's horror. The last thing she wants is a pesky ghost tagging along with her to school and everywhere else. Of course, things escalate and get out of hand quickly, making Anya realize maybe she's been a bit more selfish than she should have been.

I love the moral of this graphic novel and the way that Anya gets a bit of a kick in the butt. The illustrations are wondrously awesome pull you right into the story. The plot is great too, twisting a bit in a way that Anya doesn't expect but that is hinted at to the reader before Anya figures out what is going on.

Verdict:
Anya's Ghost is definitely a graphic novel that I highly recommend reading. It has so much going for it, the awesome illustrations, the clever plot, and an unforgettable main character who learns quite a bit from a bad situation. I can't wait to see what Vera comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anya's Ghost.