Andrea's Reviews > Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet

Eaarth by Bill McKibben

Jun 11, 11

Read in May, 2011

I hated this book. Scary shit is going down on this planet that we call Earth (which Bill McKibben insists is a new planet- eaarth - so altered is she). That is Bills's purpose, I think. To scare the crap out of you so that you start DOING something - not to save her since she's already gone, but to learn how to salvage what we do have. Much like the chronic smoker trying to save their dying, cancer-ridden body.
Being scared is not an effective emotion for me and much of what this book did was paralyze me. Made me question why I do ANYTHING environmental if the earth as we know it is dying anyway. Guilt rather than gratefulness began to reside in me.
Only gained hope when discussing this book in a group of my closest friends and family members - only came to see that every step we take is a step in the right direction when my friends supported me in my fears and talked about the positive steps they themselves are taking.
I will say this: This book changed my life. I really didn't want it to because I LOVE my life. I wish I had gone into reading it with true excitement for what he would have to say. Because change IS EXCITING! Positivity is what works for me - loving life and sharing the good and seeing the beauty on this old planet. I can't save her, but I CAN find the peace and enjoyment in striking a new path. McKibben did NOT motivate me. But he DID open my eyes. His approach is exactly the opposite of what motivates me, and in reflecting on that, I realized that I needed to "BE the change you wish to see". This book is the reason I began a blog about all the things we're doing and intend to do to direct our life toward the future - to "go green", to alter the path that we WERE taking and strike a new, more eaarth-conscious course. http://www.goinggreenlovinglife.blogs...
So thanks, Bill. I hated your book, but it changed my life.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eaarth.