Judy's Reviews > Cape Fear Rising

Cape Fear Rising by Philip Gerard

Mar 22, 11

Read in April, 2008

Wilmington, North Carolina is the only city in the entire history of the United States to have its elected government violently overthrown.

Yes, the sort of thing you think couldn't possibly happen here, did indeed happen here in 1898. The recently elected integrated city council was forced out by a group of wealthy white men.

"Cape Fear Rising" is a fictionalized account of the 1898 Wilmington race riots. I had a hard time getting through this book, even though I found the subject truly fascinating. A great story was lost among lengthy descriptions and Gerard's clunky style.

Still, I did manage to read on until the end, where, of course, all hell breaks loose. As a resident of Wilmington, a lot of the names of the conspirators are familiar--they're all on street signs and adorning parks and historic buildings. The story did motivate me to want to find out more about the 1898 riots, but then again, that's the reason I read the book in the first place.

"Cape Fear Rising" could have been a real page turner and it was at times. But overall, it was a disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cape Fear Rising.

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy You have written some good page turners and know Wilmington. How about writing the book you wanted to read?