Elaine's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Apr 18, 13

bookshelves: 2011
Read from June 09 to 17, 2011

There were bursts of sustained lyric storytelling in this novel, compelling page turning magical realism that reminded me of how that particular genre can be sharp and not cloying, and of how layers of fable and unreality can sometimes get at grim realities (Balkan history) in ways that can be fresher than straight up narration of horrific events.

That said, not all the parts of this book hung together -- it was a little too episodic, and the grand unifying death-related themes weren't convincing enough to create a cohesive whole. The narrator never becomes as real for us as her grandfather and the various mythic figures he encounters, and several of the scenes that focus on her drag somewhat.

I was between 3 and 4 on this one, but given that it's a first novel, by a very young writer, and that I very much look forward to reading more, I'll go with 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne You are a very generous rater, especially with first time novelists. I understand that.

Elaine Yes, I'm generous with young writers. Sometimes I worry that I'm too harsh with more established writers or pop sensations (eg, mcEwan or Gone Girl). But whatever, they can take it, right? :)

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Elaine wrote: "Yes, I'm generous with young writers. Sometimes I worry that I'm too harsh with more established writers or pop sensations (eg, mcEwan or Gone Girl). But whatever, they can take it, right? :)"

Yep, someone like McEwan, he doesn't care what we think at all. ;)

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Elaine wrote: "Yes, I'm generous with young writers. Sometimes I worry that I'm too harsh with more established writers or pop sensations (eg, mcEwan or Gone Girl). But whatever, they can take it, right? :)"

They can take it. But it is impressive when a new writer comes out with a really great book. That deserves an extra star.