Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > The Predicteds

The Predicteds by Christine Seifert

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: ya-dystopian, ya-contemporary, ya-scifi
Read in September, 2011

This book is a delicious blend of Sci-Fi and contemporary that I’ve yet to see rivaled. It took me a few chapters to get into this book, but I was so glad I stuck with it. Catherine Seifert has come up with a plot so ingenious, I couldn’t help but be amazed. It’s fresh and original in every aspect.

Honestly I think the initial problem was that I found the first few chapters somewhat erratic and a bit frustrating because I wanted more detail. I felt like Seifert was bypassing the characters’ backgrounds in order to get to the meat of the story. But once I got past that and Seifert really started digging in and getting into what PROFILE was, I was hooked. Maybe the most powerful part was I could see PROFILE becoming a very real possibility – monitoring the brain and making educated guesses as to how a person will behave. It’s something out of a conspiracy theorists handbook.

Daphne, as the lead character, was a good narrator. She had me scratching my head several times in the beginning, but there was something charming about her snark and wit that made me keep reading. By the middle of the book I truly warmed to her and by the end I adored her. Jesse, on the other hand, I fell for almost immediately. He’s a guy I would love to know in real life, and the way Seifert writes them together is golden. They’re real and magical all at once.

I went into this book thinking I was getting a dystopian (because doesn’t that seem to be the trend nowadays?), and was pleasantly surprised when this book wasn’t that cut and dried. It kinda of caught me off guard—in a good way. There are several twists and turns that literally made my jaw drop. Seifert came up with a dynamite plot and backed it up with fun, vibrant characters. I recommend Sci-Fi fans, dystopian fans, and contemporary fans check this one out ASAP.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Predicteds.