Lisa Lap's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Jan 06, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books-read, fiction, mysterythrillers
Read from December 26, 2011 to January 03, 2012

The anticipation of reading this book set the bar pretty high for me. Unfortunately, I think it made it more difficult for me to get into this book as easily as I might have if there wasn't so much hype surrounding it. I successfully stayed away from spoilers, other than the movie trailer and I don't take those as accurate portrayals of a book - ever - Hollywood creative license and all that. Still, this book was different from my reading palate of late. Admittedly, it was a book that was more intellectually involved from the beginning, requiring me to really pay attention to what I was reading. No skimming allowed with this thriller. I felt it was slow at the beginning, setting up all the pieces in their proper place and setting the tone as well. The slow build, the wondering how and why Lisbeth and Mikael would cross paths because where you initially thought they would meet and connect didn't happen. Tricky. Tricky. When they did finally meet the book was reaching a break neck pace where things were clicking and evolving very quickly and the book became very hard to put down. The climatic event towards the end of the book managed to surprise me even while I had suspicions of the who, what, and when - just not the why. I'm not sure how I feel about Lisbeth and Mikael's sexual involvement with each other, but it doesn't detract from their obvious working chemistry. Obviously I want to know more about "All the Evil" that happened in Lisbeth's life that has shaped her personality to such extremes and I can only surmise that more will be revealed in book two - which is sitting on my shelf taunting me to go ahead and start it right now.

Overall a very enjoyable and different read for me!

Until next time,