Jamie Kline's Reviews > Anathema

Anathema by K.A. Tucker

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: books-for-review
Read from June 17 to 20, 2011

I like how the synopsis tells you exactly what the book is about without giving away any major plot points, so I'm not going to go too in depth about the story line. We meet Evangeline who's about to turn 18 but has no friends or family to speak of. No one seems to want to get to close to her, even her foster parents are distant. So when she happens upon a young woman, Sofie, who invites her to New York to be her assistant, she jumps at the chance. Everything feels like a dream at first; she's subjected to only the best clothes and living quarters, and has tons of money thrust upon her by her two hosts, Viggo and Mortimer. Then at night she's transported to a strange other world that resembles earth, but the people living there are certainly different. It's there that she meets Caden, who she feels an instant connection with. She's pulled back and forth between these two worlds, at first believing that they are merely vivid dreams and then realizing that something much stranger is going on. As she learns more about this alternate universe and the people she thought were her friends, she begins to wonder who exactly she can trust.
For some reason I find it harder to write reviews on books that I truly loved. I'm not sure why, I guess it's because my mind gets pulled in so many different directions, remembering all of the incredible scenes in the book and wanting to share them, but not wanting to spoil the story for anyone else.
The characters in this book? Amazing! I loved Evangeline as the main character. She was tough, smart, and persevered even when everything seemed impossible. I felt compassion for her having lost her mother at a young age and not having anyone in her life to confide in. She is extremely likable and relatable, which makes this an easy book to get sucked into. The secondary characters were just as important to the story. We Sofie who takes Evangeline under her wing without really knowing her and whisks her off to New York. Then there's the mysterious Viggo and Mortimer who welcome Evangeline into their home but are harboring some very dark secrets. I really loved Evangeline's guard dog, Max. At first he seemed just like an ordinary dog (albeit a very intimidating, large dog), but as the story progresses he plays a bigger part and we learn more about him. Then there are the characters from the other world; Amelie, Fiona, Bishop, Rachel, and of course Caden. I loved all of them, except Rachel who isn't meant to be liked because she's got her sights set on Caden and for the most part he seems to reciprocate some of those feelings much to Evangeline's dismay. I won't go into any more detail with the characters, but I found it impossible not to connect with each and every one of them.
The romance between Caden and Evangeline felt very genuine and makes you want nothing more than the two of them to be together. The wrench thrown into the mix of course is Rachel, who thinks that he only has eyes for her. There are some very tender moments between Evangeline and Caden that make you just want to melt, but terrify you at the same time wondering what will happen at the end, if they will ever be able to truly be a couple.
Another thing I loved about this book is the unique story line. It has two different worlds; one is set in present day New York, the other is a sort of dystopian society where everything is in ruin. The author did an excellent job of painting this other world for us so it's very easy to visualize and imagine what it would look like. The story was just a breath of fresh air after reading so many books with practically the same premise and I enjoyed every bit of it. There is a pretty big cliffhanger at the end and I know some people are turned off by that. To me, cliffhangers just serve to get me more excited about the next book in the series so they don't bother me in the least.
What more can I say? This book rocked and I would go so far as to say it's one of my top 3 books of this year so far; it was that good! I can't wait to see what else the author has in store for these characters in the next installment in the series and I will most definitely be pre-ordering it when it becomes available. Go check out Anathema now, I promise you won't be disappointed!

If you'd like to read more of my reviews, check out my book review blog, Bookerella
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anathema.