Ryan Rebel's Reviews > How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy

How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card

Jun 11, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended to Ryan by: Myself
Recommended for: Anyone who is even thinking about writing speculative fiction
Read from June 07 to 11, 2011 , read count: 1

I am kind of obsessed with Orson Scott Card right now, despite having only read two of his books (so far...). When I found out that he wrote this book, I immediately ordered it sent to my local library. I felt that I needed to read it before I continued work on the fantasy novel I'm in the process of conceptualizing, and it turns out I was right--I did need to read this.

Forewarning: Despite the title, most of this book is about science fiction. This isn't surprising, as Card is a science fiction writer. It was great for me, because I'm interested in both. However, even if I was only looking at fantasy, it would still have been well worth a read. In fact, regarding what I'm currently writing, I was only looking at fantasy, and it was still tremendously helpful.

This book doesn't have all of the secrets, but it presents the basics in a clear and logical way. In fact, after reading one part, I had an epiphany. "Ohhh, so THAT'S what my Fiction Writing professor was talking about. Now I totally understand what she was trying to tell me was wrong with both of my stories!" If you're not a published speculative fiction writer already, you WILL find useful information in this book.

It's not even that long. In fact, a day or two after I started reading it, I was shocked to look down and notice the page number. I had almost reached a hundred pages without even realizing it. And I was even taking notes while reading! Point being, it's actually a smooth, entertaining read despite being a How To book. The man does wonders with words.

Worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it. And it's entertaining to boot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy.