Kartix's Reviews > The Witch Of Portobello

The Witch Of Portobello by Paulo Coelho

Mar 18, 08

Recommended to Kartix by: Goodreads

** spoiler alert ** This is a story of a woman named Sherine Kali, an adopted daughter of Shamira Kali, who eventually known as, Athena. She was born from a gypsy woman in Transylvania, broght up by a Lebanese family which then, due to the country malaise fled to London. She was educated in a modern way but nevertheless she was very religious and always seek spiritual enlightment.

Married in the age of 19 and has a son named Viorel, Athena’s journey was told by others who came in contact with her, her adoptive mother, Shamira; her spiritual guru, Edda; her ex-husband, Lukas; her prodigy, Andrea; a reporter who is in love with her, Hernon, and those who is related to these characters.

What I love about this book is the way Cuelho told the story. We always see Athena from different naration, thus we know that we cannot be sure of who Athena is really like since these description is really depends on how each narrator perceive Athena. Therefore, as you read the book, you will also develop your own opinion about Athena.

She was never physically descibed in this book, except that she has gray eyes and beautiful breasts. We are allowed to build our own Athena throughout the story. I see Athena as a modern woman. She was in fact worked in a bank, then in real estate business (She actually handed her business card to the person who offered her the real estate job, it is very modern, is it? I know I did that in daily basis), she moves from various big cities around the world, she actually wealthy enough to have a bank account to support her and her son for 3 years, and as in my imagination, will have that sophisticated look of an exotic business woman.

I personally do not like the character Heron, since I believe that Athena deserves that Scotland Yard dude (which in the end proved to be existed in spite of Heron’s doubt, haha!). I find my self jeaolous of Athena’s adventure, her quest towards spiritual enlightment, and also the fact that she can have a month off from her work. I mean, who in these days have the luxuty of doing so?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch Of Portobello.