Raelene's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Jul 16, 2008

bookshelves: science-fiction, the-books-of-2008
Read in July, 2008

So I'm just barely into this, but wow. I'm surprised that this is such standard required reading in high school. Pretty much so far it's all about sex. Not the romance-novel-heady-stuff, but about scientific reproduction, psychological conditioning including childhood erotic games, uninhibited 'everyone belongs to everyone' public sexuality - all sex. I can't help but think - no wonder for the Proclamation On The Family.

I get the sense that this is 1984-ish, but more science/psycology and less politics/philosophy. We'll see how it ends up.

Quite frankly, I think it ends brilliantly - I especially love the discussion with the World Controller and the very last description of John's swinging feet - and I certainly understand why this would be required reading in high school. Though I am initially dismayed at the rampant and loose sexual (im)morality, even this theme gives so much depth to the scenario and overall the story provides so many great topics to discuss - social class, individual vs. society, the power of history/reading/thinking for ones' self, religion and science. I am only disappointed that I am not reading this for a class or a scintillating book club. There's so much here that I would like to sift through in a group setting. In brief - brilliant with fascinatingly deep explorations of all we consider right and moral and good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.