Vicky's Reviews > Elantris

Jun 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2011

I have read Sanderson's later books, Warbreaker and the Wheel of Time books, and so decided to pick up his first novel. You can definitely tell it's a first novel. The writing is a little clumsy and the main characters lacked depth. Raoden is the perfect prince, and Sarene a modern liberated woman, who nonetheless wanted to marry prince charming. Despite the characters' flaws, or lack thereof, I still liked them. I can't really explain why.

Sanderson gets points for creating a universe and story line that deviates from the Tolkien format. There is no great quest or seemingly invincible bad guy that must be vanquished. However, in showing me around his world I could have used a little more guidance. I remember one of the characters mentioning seeing an Aon in the middle of her Seon, but there was no hint as to what an Aon was. It wasn't until later that I figured out that an Aon was a drawing or symbol.

Bottom line: there are better Sanderson books out there. Don't make this one the first one of his you read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elantris.