Victoria's Reviews > Swallowing Stones

Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-really-liked, i-thought-it-was-okay, sad-depressing-books, mystery, realistic-fiction, books-reviewed
Read from January 01 to September 01, 2010

I had to read Swallowing Stones for my 8th grade English class and I must say--I really enjoy this book! Swallowing Stones explores the theme of an accidental crime, guilt, and depression and is truly remarkable in every way.

Swallowing Stones is about a teenage boy named Michael who did something absolutely awful (Firing a bullet into the air and accidentally killed someone with it) that changed his life forever. He couldn't live with his life because he feel so much fear and guilt from it. He kept silent while he watches his whole world falls apart. Meanwhile, the daughter of the dead man, Jenna, dealt with depression and loss, while beginning to lose her boyfriend and friends. But Jenna is curious about why a stranger, Michael, in her dreams keep appearing.

Swallowing Stones is definitely a page-turner, very suspenseful, mysterious, and very dark. There's not a much of an ending, but it was very predictable in the end and we eventually can guess what will happen next. This book is what I would recommend to teens who want to read a book about an accidental crime and the guilt that each character face.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallowing Stones.