CJ's Reviews > The Enchantment Emporium

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: recently-read
Read on June 10, 2011, read count: 1

I picked this book up at the library because it looked at least vaguely interesting, and ended up getting it out because it was set in Canada. Urban fantasy, set explicitly in Canada? (The city of Calgary, mostly, in fact.) Almost guaranteed for me to read it, then!

I've not read any of Tanya Huff's other books, but I'm now going to be searching them out because of this one. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The story moved along at a pleasantly steady clip, the characters were wonderful and intriguing, and if I had to flip back and re-read a few bits every now and then, it was because Huff is very good at the 'show, don't tell' business. Though the nature of the Gale family is never really fully explained, and one is thrust right into the story with no explanation, it feels more like you are having a world slowly revealed to you, as you read. It was something like exploring an unfamiliar city without a map: intriguing surprises around the corners, but not so twisty as to get lost.

If you are looking for a fun, sexy (and wonderfully queer friendly) contemporary urban fantasy, I definitely recommend this. In fact, I may have babbled gleefully about this book on my Twitter while reading it. ;P There is magic, tropes get played with with delightful twists, a definite sense of humour in the writing, dragons, changeling leprechauns, and plenty of teasing hints at a broader world. And just to add a little flavouring, it would seem, there are delightful small fannish references sprinkled throughout (sci-fi shows, a movie, a well-known short story...).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantment Emporium.