Jenny Maloney's Reviews > Sh*t My Dad Says

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, funny, hilarious, humor, memoir, moral-dilemmas, non-fiction
Read in June, 2011

On Writing a Memoir Via Twitter:

A creative idea that is surprisingly well-executed. Halpern's Twitter feed, Sh*t My Dad Says, is a great idea for a twitter feed in general, and translated well into this short memoir in particular. I was concerned upon picking this up that it would be just a listing of super-self-referrential quotes, but Halpern manages to dodge that by putting plenty of his own life-experience in. He gives context, and that is an added bonus.

On Reading This Book During a Little League Game

It was very meta.

This was my favorite part, not only because I was on the stands at my son's baseball game at the time, but because it showed Justin Halpern (the author) understanding, as an adult, what he did not as a child. Young Halpern doesn't understand why he's forced to practice with the smelly kid. His dad shows him, via a confrontation with another parent...which is still not uncommon in the world of youth sports...that the kid is a talented player with a rough life, and that you should look past appearances to find out the truth.

I also think that this is the whole point of this book.

On the Point of This Book

There's a lot of cursing--but if you pick up a book titled Sh*t My Dad Says and you're not expecting that...well, I can't help you.

However, the cursing is just the outward appearance.

The stories and quotes are about being yourself, learning from your mistakes, living an honest, straightforward life, and shooting for your dreams. Halpern's dad, throughout all the cursing, all the lessons, obviously loves his kids. Justin Halpern is somewhat self-deprecating, which makes him come across a little slow, but it has to be that way, right? Otherwise his dad's Words Of Wisdom wouldn't ring like they should.

(And we inherently understand that Halpern's lessons got through, right? If not, there wouldn't be this book, the sitcom, etc. Gotta read between the lines, see past the appearances, and all....)

On the Author Working for Maxim.com

Not surprising.

~Jenny
Place for the Stolen
Under Ground Writing Project

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sh*t My Dad Says.