Phil Ansell's Reviews > The Final Testament of the Holy Bible

The Final Testament of the Holy Bible by James Frey

5612096
Jun 13, 11

Read from June 11 to 13, 2011

This had the potential to be an amazing book. The first half had me hooked, I couldn't put it down. I found it fast paced and gripping as it followed the story of Ben Zion who was believed to be the Messiah, and was told from the viewpoint of the different characters whose lives were touched by Ben. It was full of some really good ideas and it was clear that Frey had done a huge amount of reasearch into religions and had a good understanding of them.

However after a gripping start it quickly went down hill from II Mariangeles onwards (The book is split into chapters with names in the style of The Bible). From there onwards it just got extremely preachy. The story came to a stand still whilst Frey got on his soap box and preached the evils of Religion and Politics. I wouldn't have minded this so much but it got monotonous as he continued to go on and on and on about it whilst the story went nowhere. He had Ben talk repeatedly about how the God we know, through the different religions, was created to oppress and control. Which would have been a fair argument but it seemed to me that the author had conflicting and contradictory views of God and didn't quite have a grasp on the view of God he was putting forward. He explained about love being all that mattered (which I agree with to a certain extent) and he then turned the story into one big orgy having Ben sleep with anyone and everyone, sometimes all at the same time, as an expression of that love and it just seemed totally unnecessary and I felt it took away from the story, and it made me lose interest in it and the characters which at first were so compelling.

I persevered however and finished the book. It got back on track towards the end and but the massive amounts of preaching and unnecessary sex scenes ruined the whole book for me, a shame really because it would have had more of an impact if Frey had continued to focus on moving the story forward and put his ideas to the reader in that way, rather than the way he did it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Testament of the Holy Bible.

MomIsReading Oh yeah! The orgy stuff was just to much for me and I'm the furthest thing from a prude. I mean, I'm all for loving everyone like we are one big happy family but I don't want to sleep with everyone - ewww! If the author would have refrained from this part, It could have been a 5 star for me.

message 2: by Sherri (new)

Sherri I almost added this book to my to-read list... You just saved me from that. I'm not interested in reading a massive amount of filth. How disappointing to hear that he did that to something that sounds like it could have been a pretty good read...

Phil Ansell Yeah Sherri, it ruined what could have potentially been a very good book. Such a shame.