Pat's Reviews > The Sojourn

The Sojourn by Andrew Krivak

M 50x66
Jun 19, 11

Read from June 11 to 19, 2011

Andrew Krivak's The Sojourn follows young Jozef Vinich through his life being born in America to a family of immigrants, growing up in the old country, fighting in World War I, and coming back home to America. Krivak's writing style is reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy in that he writes with great imagery despite an economy of words. Likewise, his writing is reminiscent of Hemingway in the stoicism of his protagonist despite adversity and Remarque in his portrayal of World War I from the perspective of a soldier fighting for the Central Power.

I found this to be a very compelling book. The biblical imagery comparing Jozef's life to Moses and well as references to Shakespeare in having Vinich meet a character named Banquo, who correlated strongly with the character of the same name in MacBeth, was very appealing to me as a reader. As much care as was given to use biblical and literary symbolism, every bit as much care was put into ensuring that the characters were believable and relateable enough so that the reader would begin to question the same things about the world that Vinich questions in the novel. In the end, this is a novel that has a lot to say about war, peace, life, death, and why we live. I came away very impressed with this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sojourn.